Our Companion Guides have been developed to be used in conjunction with a text book to support the learning required for each unit/cluster.
These Companion Guides support the delivery of CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support, in conjunction with the following textbooks:
- Arnott, G 2017 The Individual Support Worker: Ageing, Disability, Home and Community, Cengage Learning Australia, South Melbourne.
- Croft, H 2017, The Australian Carer: A Training Manual for Aged Care Workers, 4 edn, Cengage Learning Australia, South Melbourne.
- Croft, H 2017, The Experienced Carer: Frontline Leaders in Australia's Aged Care Workplaces, 2 edn, Cengage Learning Australia, South Melbourne.
- Arnott, G 2017, The Disability Support Worker, 2edn, Cengage Learning Australia, South Melbourne.
Companion Guides are a concept developed by Eduworks Resources – designed to guide the student through the relevant parts of the textbook for the particular unit/cluster. They also direct the student to additional resources and learning activities they can complete either at home or work to support learning and fill any gaps in content not covered by the textbook. Each companion guide includes website links and videos that are relevant to the unit/cluster. These are great to to provide structure to independent learning/homework!
We also include a mapping document that shows how each part of the unit is covered by either the textbook or the companion guide, or a combination of both.
Our Companion Guides include the following sections:
- Reading and watching activities – this includes instructions to the student on which parts of the textbook they need to read, websites they need to visit and explore and online videos to watch.
- Further research – contains additional topics for the students to complete independent research.
- Discussions – contains a range of discussion questions for the student to think about. These can also be used in class as applicable.
- Learning activities – This section refers to relevant textbook activities for the student to complete as well as additional homework and workplace tasks the student can complete to extend their learning.
*Please note all four textbooks may not be required as required texts depends on unit selection. All core units use The Individual Support Worker by Geoff Arnott. Please contact Eduworks for further information on required texts for your unit selection.
- This product is sold under the terms of our Licence Agreement. Read our Licence Agreement here.
- All documents are provided in Microsoft Word format and can be customised to suit the needs of your target group as required.
- You can add your logo and contact details to all purchased documents and make changes to the documents as necessary.
- The licence permits use only within the licensed RTO, without limitations on student numbers.
- You are not permitted to share the resources with any other entity or RTO.
- For use within more than one RTO, please contact us for a multi-license quote.
Why do I need Companion Guides when I have a textbook?
Textbooks are often not written to the specific unit of competency requirements. Often, a textbook is written on a topic and publishers then map the content to relevant units of competency after the text book has been developed. This means that the textbook doesn’t always cover the whole unit and key points of some units are not covered.
Our companion guides are developed to cover any major gaps identified in the textbook.
Additionally, handing a whole text book to a student at the start of the course can be daunting as often there are lots more topics in the text book than is actually required by the course. Textbooks don’t provide guidance on when the student should complete each part, how they relate to the unit, or space for the student to write answers and take notes. Our companion guides provide all of this, plus provide additional reading and resources, and activities for students to do at work or at home as homework, or workplace learning.